ooops! i totally forgot my birthday – i mean, my blog birthday. today, december 19, it’s been two years that i’ve been writing on this blog. so i decided to go back to my 1st birthday post and rewrite it, in the light of the last 366 days.
it’s been an interesting 132,000 words to write (that’s how many words i estimate have accumulated here in the last year – about 24,000 more than last year)
what was the most surprising thing? i hadn’t anticipated i would merge my web site with my blog. from a technical point of view, that was a good thing. however, the “pages” section of this site (the old static web site) still feels a bit orphaned and static.
participating in some great memes and group writing projects has been a real boon. i got to know a lot of people through them. just to name a few examples, there is priscilla palmer’s personal development blog list, the W list, InspirationBit’s group writing project on – well, inspiration, and the fabulous 6-word project at middlezonemusings.
i still haven’t run out of topics – in fact, i have more than i can handle. sometimes i wonder whether i’m too general. but what can i say, i’m actually quite happy with the range of topics. here are the topics i was thinking about discussing on my last birthday post:
there’s an entry about a cognitive psychologist who has done research on our ancestors’ thinking – how people ten thousands of years ago used their brains. a book review about the supposed inherent violence of men. thoughts on men and obesity. on the difference between faith and hope.
i did write about the first topic – still love that image of the cavewoman, isn’t it great?
and i see that i still haven’t written a review of neil boyd’s book the beast within. i should do that soon – even more than a year after reading it, the book still stands out as an important contribution to both psychology and sociology.
men and obesity? not a thing. get on it, isabella! especially since nancy asked me to write more on overeating.
difference between faith and hope? meh. doesn’t sound very interesting right now (although who knows, maybe you’ll see me eat my words next month.)
other things i might write about are sam harris’ neurology paper on “primitive” beliefs and more on these topics: what and how to eat when recovering from anorexia, on quitting smoking, creative people, and on counselling theory, especially countertransference.
last year, i said i was happy how comments and conversations had started to happen and “if i would have been a little more confrontational, they probably would have happened faster.” there was a tiny bit of confrontation here and there, on the first article on the taser death here in vancouver, for example. but really, i’m not much into confrontation.
and stats – just like last year, an article on anorexia and sex had the most page views. the post on st. augustine, darwin, plato and freud had people glued to the monitor for the longest time, and one of the understanding “i don’t know” articles had the best exit rate (i.e. people didn’t get fed up with reading my blog after reading that post). it’s also nice to report that on december 19, 2007 i had six times more traffic than on december 19, 2006!
these were the things on my wish list for the blog last year
- have some guest columnists
- do more memes
- have some sort of meaningful collaboration with other bloggers
- have more conversations through comments – my goal is to have at least as many comments as posts by the end of february
i’m happy to report that all of it happened.
for the coming year, i’d like to
- explore the possibility of monetizing the blog
- do at least one big group writing project
- get that #$&(@$ do follow plugin working
- explore more interaction with readers – more comments but also more … what? social media type interactions? let’s see.
and again i’ll ask you, readers: what would you like to see more of, less of?
… following up on InspirationBit’s suggestion, this post became part of the blogging goals group writing project on daily blog tips. here is the list of people who participated in it.
- making home-made wine and beer – 2008 goals for this blog
- 2008 plans for sk8 dad
- blog gigs – blogging goals for 2008
- my life with it – blogging goals for 2008
- butterfly media – 2008 blogging goals
- scott andrew bird – blog goals 2008
- objetivos do 1001 gatos para 2008
- 2008 goals for money and blogs
- kris cpec – blogging goals for 2008
- win a revolution theme
- non profit leadership, innovation and change – goals for 2008
- 2008 blogging goals and the rewards they earn
- blogging notes – blogging goals for 2008
- the university blog – blogging goals for 2008
- #comments – goals!
- agile business navigator – (blogging) goals for 2008
- goals for 2008: (almost) every blogger has some
- amanda – 2008 blogging goals
- why i never set blogging goals
- the genetic genealogist – my 2008 blogging goals
- techlife – 2008 blogging goals
- ooof – blogging goals
- zparacha – 2008 blogging goals
- learn how 2 earn – blog goals for 2008
- 2008 blogging goals win premium wordpress themes
- happy 2nd birthday, change therapy!
- not-so techie goals set for 2008
- jake bouma – blogging goals for 2008
- paasikoe – 2008 blogging goals
- train the trainer: 2008 goals
- beyond behaviors’ blogging goals for 2008
- fashion by jenni – blogging goals for 2008
- ledger pad – plan for 2008!
- a contest! a xontest!
- planet apex – 8 blogging goals for 2008
- a writer’s words – 2008 blogging goals? plans, maybe …
- romance tracker’s 2008 blogging goals
- global warming hub’s blogging goals for the new year
- setting your goals makes you 200% more productive
- online tech tips blogging goals for 2008
- concholakeaz.com blog goals
- inspiration just doesn’t get any better than this
- blog about your blog – blogging goals for 2008
- my 2008 blogging goals for blog contest central
- blogging goals – christmas letters to santa claus
- mixed market arts – goals for 2008
- have you thought of your blogging goals for 2008?
- vincent chow – blogging goals for 2008
- writing nag’s 2008 blogging goals
- shawnw – my blogging goals for 2008
- the value of being incomplete: what are your goals for 2008?
- on financial success – goals for the new year
- madhur kapoor – blogging goals for 2008
- work n play – 2008 blogging goals
- what i wish to achieve with dailyapps in 2008
- gimme a dream – my blogging goals for 2008
- new year’s resolutions for tailgatingideas.com
- it’s write now! – blogging resolutions for 2008!
- blogging: learning the lessons the hard way
- nazjam – my blogging goals for 2008
- jobmob 2008 blogging goals
- what will your blog look like in 2008?
- my 2008 goals for newest on the net
- misentropy – what i want my blog to be…
- the visitor’s book (2008)
- an unplannd future
- good bye 2007 – blogging goals for the new year
- life in the internet – blogging goals for 2008
- blogging goals for 2008 – learn from the experience!
- techno money – my goals for 2008…what are yours?
- 8 goals for inspiration bit in 2008
- cyber street report – 2008 blogging goals
- mary emma – writing and blogging goals for 2008
- gauravonomics – my three blogging goals for 2008
- ebiz parent – 2008 blogging goals
- alphablogs – 5 goals for 2008
- daily blog tips: 10 goals for 2008
- blogging goals for 2008