what about those negative voices in our heads? what can we do with them?
- not listen (we have great practice with that: remember how you didn’t listen when mom told you to brush your teeth?)
- reason with it
- switch to a positive thought
- write a gratitude list
- reverse the talk (e.g. replace “i’ll never get out of this funk” with “come to think of it, i’m not doing as bad as i was yesterday”)
- write down what the voice says and throw out the paper (kudos to barbara sher‘s wishcraft)
- read a book on the subject
- tell the voice you’ll give it 3 minutes, and that’s it for negative talk for the day
- talk back, e.g.:
- “your must be out of your mind!”
- “don’t use that tone of voice with me!”
- “last time i listened to you, i felt miserable for 10 days
and if it really bugs you, of course you can see a counsellor!
counselling in vancouver